Sunday, January 3, 2010

Dressing up for church on Sunday




I have noticed, in the past 10 years or so, that people have stopped dressing up for church. In an effort to get more people in the door, it seems some churches are becoming very relaxed in their dressing standards. At first, you saw women stop wearing dresses ,then men stopped wearing ties, then they stopped wearing jackets, then everyone started wearing jeans, now this morning we saw some teenagers wearing sweatshirts and pajama bottoms.

I was raised to believe that we should always look our "Sunday Best" at church because we are dressing to show the Lord our respect. Wally and Beaver are 4 and 6 and we make them wear button-downs, sweaters or sweater vests, and slacks with loafers every Sunday. Ward wears a similar outfit and I always dress my very best with fresh hair and makeup and jewelry.

I'm so disappointed to see people coming to the Lord's house dressed for a sleepover or a hayride. I know I should be glad that people are even making an effort to come to church at all, but I just can't get on board with this lazy way of dressing. Our church films every sermon and it appears on a local network on Tuesday evenings, so I guess the next thing we'll see is that people stop going to church all together because they are watching it on tv at home, while eating popcorn and scrolling through their recent text messages.

What ever happened to old-fashioned Sundays at church? In our house, I wake up early and fix a big Sunday breakfast (today was sausage links with biscuits, gravy, and scrambled eggs), we get dressed up for church, we stop by the grocery store to pick up the Sunday paper (coupons) and then we head home. Once we get home, the boys change into their play clothes while I prepare a light lunch (today it was ham biscuits from the leftover ones at breakfast). After lunch, the boys have "quiet time" for 2 hours while Ward watches football and reads the Sunday paper and I clean up the breakfast and lunch dishes and do some light cleaning. We usually spend the afternoon relaxing and catching up on reading and I'll make a dessert for after Sunday dinner. Then the boys will play some board games while I prepare our big Sunday dinner (Tonight it's roast chicken and vegetables with yeast rolls) and then we'll eat our dinner in the formal living room.

Do other people not do this anymore?

No comments:

Post a Comment