Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving "Untraditions"




Thanksgiving is one of those holidays in my family that is important, but one that never seems to have much "tradition." It seems we do Thanksgiving different almost every year. When I was growing up, we spent Thanksgiving with my grandparents in Louisiana and it was the most anticipated trip of the year for me. My sister and I were the only "kids" in the family, so we usually got a lot of attention, but concurrently we also got lost in the shuffle a lot and were allowed to explore the pond behind their house and raid the pantry undetected. When I got older and married and started my own family, that tradition stopped and we started spending Thanksgiving with Ward's side of the family out-of-town at his mom's home. And when it got to be too much to bring the boys up there for that long period of time, we started having it here. But because Ward's grandmother has been ill and family has come in town to be with her during this rough time, we thought it would be best to go back up there for Thanksgiving, and I'm glad we did.

I guess I just realized that it doesn't matter that it's different every year, the people we share the day with change every few years, and we're not always in our home. I'm just thankful that we all find a way to come together for a great meal and praise the Lord that we made it one more Thanksgiving with everyone still healthy and alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment