Sunday, November 15, 2009

Old Magazines from the 1950's




Some of my friends and family think I'm stuck in a time warp because I spend so much time looking at magazines, books, TV shows, and movies from the 1950's. I love that time period, and although I know it wasn't "perfect", I still think that the focus on simple family time was much stronger back then. Today, so many families are overscheduled and/or would rather spend time alone on the computer or on the phone with their friends that with their families. I love thinking about how homelife must have been before TV took over, cell phones, multiple phone lines in the home, etc.

A few years ago, Ward found 8 'bound' books of magazines from Better Homes and Gardens and Good Housekeeping from 1949-1956. I TREASURE these books and pour over each page time and again. I love reading the recipes, letters to the editor, signs of the times, advertisements, short stories, housekeeping tips, fashions of the day, etc. It's probably one of the best presents he's ever gotten me.

My most favorite part is the 1950's decorations and furniture. Who doesn't love all of the built-ins of that era?

No comments:

Post a Comment