Monday, November 23, 2009

Comfort Food





There's something about a chill in the air, a fire in the fireplace, and a football game on the television that makes you crave comfort food. I love this time of year because I have an excuse to get in my kitchen and fix my favorite foods like macaroni and cheese, meatloaf, chili, fried chicken, and pot roast.

Wally and Beaver are out of school all week and we had a fun day today at home. They got a new Nintendo game with their allowance this weekend (Indiana Jones Legos II) and played that for a bit while I puttered around the house in my houseshoes and tended to my neglected housework. I'm hoping to have it all caught up by tomorrow, laundry included.

I wanted to make something special since it was such a dark and gloomy day, so I made some pot roast and homemade challah bread. As soon as Ward walked in, he mentioned how great the house smelled and that he was starving. My recipe is VERY simple and I get rave reviews each time.

Simple Pot Roast and vegetables

1 medium beef roast (doesn't matter the cut)
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper
3 cans beef consomme
Canned carrots
Yellow potatoes (sliced)
Yellow onion (long thin strips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Salt and Pepper the beef very well on all sides.
Heat a large pot on the stove with a 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil.
Once the olive oil is hot, add the roast and sear the meat on all sides.
Keep the meat in the same pot and pour all three cans of consomme over the top. Add a little water to make sure the beef is competely covered in liquid.
Cook 2-3 hours depending on size and then add vegetables.
Cook 1 hour longer, or until potatoes are soft.
Remove roast to cutting board and let rest for 15 minutes while you set the table, get drinks, etc.
Slice the beef, add the vegetables to the serving platter, and pour a little of the juice over it. Reserve the rest of the 'gravy' and put it in a gravy boat.

WONDERFUL! Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment